Almighty God, the reign of terror continues in our world with senseless acts of violence overwhelming us almost daily now. Have mercy on us, Lord. Have mercy on us. Teach us how to lament as we fall down before you on our faces and knees.
• We pray for presidents, prime ministers, legislators, judges, military leaders, governors, mayors, police officers and medical personnel everywhere to think clearly, lead courageously and pray unceasingly. We ask you, O God, to raise up women and men who will speak the truth in love and lead with compassion and humility.
• We pray for Orlando, Istanbul, Nice, Dallas, Kabul, Munich and countless other cities who continue to mourn the loss of so many innocent lives in recent days. We pray for confused and grieving families to know the comfort and peace of the Holy Spirit.
• We pray for impoverished and oppressed people everywhere who earnestly believe that the remedy to their plight is hatred and violence. In the words of the Prophet Amos, "Let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream."
• We pray for hate-filled persons whose twisted thinking somehow believes that destroying other human beings pleases God. We hear the voice of Jesus crying out from the cross, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they are doing."
• We pray for those who conceive terror to receive a new heart and a new spirit from you. Take away their hearts of stone and give them hearts of flesh. We pray for the utter destruction of all terror in our world and the ideologies that inspire it.
• Finally, God, we pray for ourselves that the darkness will not overwhelm us, that hatred will not consume us. May your light and love at work in us bring hope, reconciliation and peace as we eagerly await the Return of Christ. Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!